BE the CHANGE You Want to SEE
Who likes litter? NOBODY!
Taking care of our watersheds and surrounding environment is a very important job.
There's something everyone can do, including you! Read on for some tips on how to live a more litter-free life.
- BYOB - Bring Your Own - reusable Bag to the store, water Bottle to the gym or the park (or anywhere), Beverge mug to the coffee shop, Bucket to Coastal Cleanup day . . . you get the idea.
- Don't litter. Make an extra effort to place your trash in the nearest trash bin. Also, keep garbage and recycling cans tightly covered to prevent litter from being blown away or scattered by animals. If you have a truck, cover any items that could blow onto the road.
- Pick it up. Show you care more about where litter should be than how it got where it shouldn't be.
- Reduce, Reuse, Recycle. The fewer throw-away products you buy, the less trash you create.
- Green Your Garden. Use non-toxic pest control methods, conserve water and plant native plants to keep your garden happy and healthy.
- Encourage local businesses to reuse, recycle, and generate less packaging. Ask your local stores and shops if they recycle or take back packaging, fluorescent bulbs, batteries, etc.
- Support manufacturers who use green design and take responsibility for their products at the end of their useful life – vote with your dollars!
- Drop off items that can't go in the trash. Contact the San Mateo County Household Hazardous Waste Program or visit our Too Toxic To Trash webpage to learn about the proper disposal of common household toxic products requiring special care.
- Get Involved! Help local waterways by cleaning up litter with us.
Cleanups happening year-round. Find a cleanup on our calendar.