Used Motor Oil and Filter Recycling
San Mateo County has over 70 collection centers where you can safely dispose of your used motor oil and filters for FREE. Below are your 2 free recycling options:
Curbside Collection For Single-family homes (contact your local waste hauler for limitations and proper containers accepted):
- Republic Services: Daly City, Colma & City of Half Moon Bay
- GreenWaste: Towns of Portola Valley & Woodside
- Recology of San Mateo: Atherton, Belmont, Burlingame, East Palo Alto, Foster City, Hillsborough, Menlo Park, Redwood City, San Carlos, San Mateo & Unincorporated San Mateo County
- South San Francisco Scavenger: Brisbane, Millbrae & South San Francisco
How to Recycle Your Used Motor Oil and Filters
It's easy to recycle used motor oil and filters. Just follow these steps to ensure your used oil is taking the correct path for recycling.
- Collect your used oil in a clean non-breakable container that has a screw-on cap.
- Don't mix other substances with your used oil such as: paint, gasoline, solvents, water or antifreeze.Your used oil must be free of contaminants in order to be recycled.
- Place your used oil filter in a sealed plastic bag.
- Drop off your used motor oil and oil filters during business hours at a Collection Center. DO NOT leave used oil outside the Collection Centers when no one is in attendance or after business hours.
To find the collection center nearest you call 650-372-6135 or see our list of certified used oil collection centers.
Used Motor Oil Collection Centers will NOT accept contaminated oil (oil with traces of antifreeze, paint, water or other substances). To receive information on recycling contaminated oil, used antifreeze, paint and other household hazardous materials, call 650-363-4718 or visit San Mateo County Household Hazardous Waste Program.
How to Become a Used Motor Oil & Filter Collection Center
If you own or operate an automotive parts retail shop, service or repair shop, gas station, or auto dealership and are interested in becoming a certified collection center please visit the web site for CalRecycle or contact San Mateo County at 650-372-6135.
Needing to change your car's oil every 3,000 miles no longer applies to most cars. Many cars today can go longer without affecting engine wear. Automakers are regularly recommending oil changes at 5,000, 7,000 or even 10,000 miles based on driving conditions. Check your vehicle's user manual for guidelines on when to change your oil. More information can be found at checkyournumber.org.
Looking for Cooking Oil Recycling? Go to Recycleworks Search and search under "Miscellaneous" "Oil (Used Cooking Oil)"